UCLA Library Budget 2009-10

As I have mentioned in previous postings, the UCLA Library must reduce its operating budget by $1,830,021 in addition to the other reductions required for various other campus charges. These reductions are in addition to the planned furlough/salary savings.

Building on the foundation of our strategic plan, our primary commitment is to sustain the excellence of the Library, its staff, collections, and services. This commitment will be challenged during these next months and perhaps years as the resources made available to us will continue to shrink. It is important to remember that this will be a permanent reduction in our resource base. So we will be smaller.

As you all know, we have not filled vacancies for some time and have limited recruitments to a very few critical positions. That focus will continue into this budget year. We are recruiting for a Director of Special Collections as that position is critical to our plans to bring all of our special collections together in order to retain their strength and value to UCLA and the broader community.

Further budget reductions fall into the following categories:

Reduction in Acquisition of New Materials for the Collection: I have directed a hold-back of twenty-five percent of the Library’s acquisitions budget (from State Funds). This will impact all units and all aspects of our collection. We will attempt to sustain all of the joint purchase we are committed to through the California Digital Library. While this is a significant cut (the first such reduction in the Library’s history), we will make every effort to respond to high priority needs of faculty and programs for resources necessary to sustain UCLA’s research, teaching, and public service. Liaisons are encouraged to work with faculty to ensure that critical items are acquired in support of degree programs and critical research.

Reduction in Service Hours: The Library has resisted reducing library hours during all previous budget reductions, but now must face this reality. With the desire to provide an equity of access to all of our users, effective Fall quarter, the Biomedical Library, College Library, Science and Engineering Library in Boelter Hall, and the Research Library will be open Monday through Thursday from 7:30 am to 11:00 pm, Friday from 7:30 am to 6:00 pm; closed on Saturday and open Sunday 1:00 to 6:00 pm. Most other library units under the University Librarian will be open from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. The Library will sustain 24/7 access to licensed and electronic resources and a full suite of web services and continue to strengthen and enhance this access. In addition to our licensed resources, faculty and students will have access to electronic reserves and reference provided through our consortial agreements.

Reduction in the Number of Service Outlets (branches) on the Campus: With the current reductions and potential reduction in funding in future years, we must now begin to examine how the Library can meet its campus commitments with fewer physical locations on the UCLA campus. Study teams will be appointed to examine the service and collection issues associated with closing the Arts and Chemistry libraries.

Exploration of a Fee for Interlibrary Loan: With the Library’s shrinking acquisitions budgets, it has less material to lend to other libraries, from which we derive lending fees. Our budget to borrow material on behalf of faculty and students is no longer covered by these lending fees. With the reduced acquisitions budget, we expect an increase in borrowing requests. If we do not address this challenge, savings from acquisitions reductions will be lost by our having to support more borrowing requests. During the fall term we will examine the implications of this situation.

Reduction in operating expense, travel, and other general expense: All units saw reductions in these amounts during the 2008-09 budget year; these will continue into this year and will likely be permanent going forward.

As planning progresses in each of these areas of reduction, I will keep you informed. Your questions, comments, and suggestions are most welcome.

As we enter this next period of the Library’s history, we are facing tremendous challenge. It will take us all to make sure that the Library that will emerge in the future is strong, relevant, and sustainable at UCLA. We are in this together and I know I can count on each of you to do your part.

9 Responses to “UCLA Library Budget 2009-10”

1. Val Rom-Hawkins says:

Why did we choose to close YRL on Saturdays instead of Sundays?

2. Daniel Contreras says:

Hey Gary,

This is Daniel Contreras, supervisor for SEL/Chem. This is the first official word I’ve heard about Chemistry’s closure. I guess I’ll hear more about it at our meeting Thursday.

I had a question about this blog, is it for library staff viewing only (staff intranet)? Or is it publicly accessible? I’m not sure how many people in the chem/phys departments check this regularly, but if they do this might be the first notice they’re getting of the closure as well.

danielc :)

3. Diane Mizrachi says:

If we could be re-imbursed when we book travel arrangements for library business independently rather than through UCLA Travel, we could probably save thousands of dollars. My recent booking cost approximately 35% more, but the agent told me they have no access to the cheaper rates.

4. Kay says:

I realize that times are desperate, but did anyone consider WHEN people do library research? If you’ve got classes during weekday hours and/or a job, then library time is nights and weekends. The new weekend hours are catastrophic for Extension students, and extremely problematic for full-time undergrads and grads, not to mention faculty trying to balance teaching with writing papers, books, and grants.

5. J. Manuel Urrutia says:

As a member of the Physics Department (now Physics and Astronomy) for many years, my use of the actual library has changed. Indeed, I no longer have a need to visit the Library after 5pm and my use of the materials physically residing in the Library has been radically altered due to electronic subscriptions.

However, I can see that closure of the Chemistry Library will completely transform the relationship between the University and its undergraduate and graduate student population. I am also sure that the teaching faculty will have strong views on this subject.

What will happen to the materials housed there? Will they be moved to the SRLF? Or to Boelter Hall? I can’t imagine that there is enough room in that facility. Just because I don’t use the Library the way I used to does not mean that young researchers do not have the same needs. I think it is terribly shortsighted to close Chemistry because of this “manufactured” crisis. Unless, of course, the aim is to inflict as much pain as possible so that ladder faculty will stand up and “not take it anymore”.

6. Chris says:

Computers and the internet can (thankfully) replace most students’ need for books, at least during the hours the libraries are closed. The real blow is the loss of all that quiet study space. Am I correct in my assumption that “Night Powell” is gone with this new system? I never would have made it through last quarter without the ability to leave my apartment and do work.

7. Janaya Roberson says:

I have disagreed with Chris. Nothing can replace the need and usefulness of books and strong library system. I am enraged this decision was reached without the imput from the UCLA faculty, students, and other members of the UCLA family. Night Powell was vital part of many students’s success at UCLA, including my own. Arts Library provided a haven for many people who could not find a study spot in YRL or Powell. By reducing the hours and locations, you are placing an undue burden on UCLA students.

8. LM says:

What about just cutting down on the air conditioning in the libraries? I can’t tell you how many times as an undergrad I’ve been extremely uncomfortable while studying in YRL due to the excessive a/c use. It seems wasteful to keep the library so incredibly cold all the time–what if instead of keeping it at what must be 65 degrees, we kept it at 75? With how large this building is this would certainly save thousands of dollars…

9. Christopher Lade says:

As a former undergraduate student and now a current graduate student in the Music Department who has worked at the Music Library for more than three years, this propossed change in hours is depressing. I can’t tell you how many music students come to library between the hours of 5-8 pm, simply because they are in class all day long and have either orchestra rehearsal or wind ensemble rehearsal up until 6 pm. Many students take advantage of the extra hours at night to study, do research, finish papers, check out materials, etc., which they simply don’t have time to do during the day.
    However, more importantly for music students, is the use of the music library during the weekend. If the hours must be cut to 9-5 during the weekday, then at least have the music library open on the weekends, where a lot of the “real” work gets done.

The loss of Night Powell is also a bad news — I have to agree with Chris when he says that Night Powell has been a relief from a loud, noisy and unproductive space that an apartment can be at night, to the quiet work atmosphere that Night Powell provides during the last weeks of each quarter. I’ve used Night Powell a number of times to study and finish papers.

I realize times are tough, and that the UC library system has less money to spend, but for new incoming students facing enormous fee increases (especially for out-of-state students who are getting sacked with a $2,000-$3,000 increase in their tuition), limiting the hours of the libraries adds insult to injury.