As you are aware, the University of California Board of Regents approved a one-year furlough/salary reduction plan in July for UC employees to achieve savings systemwide. The UCLA Library is expected to save $1,129,000 from the furlough/salary reduction plan which will run from September 1, 2009 to August 31, 2010. The savings from the furlough program is only one aspect of the library’s cuts. The UCLA Library must also cut $1,011,051 from its budget to pay for energy costs, deferred maintenance, and to cover benefits costs and employer contributions to the retirement program which are slated to begin in April 2010. In addition, the Library must make a 5 percent cut which represents $1,830,201. These three amounts together represent a total budgetary reduction of $3,970,252 from the UCLA Library budget.
Library Human Resources and Library Business Services staff are working collaboratively to facilitate the implementation of the furlough program and to track the savings the UCLA Library will realize from the program. It is important to note that the program is subject to collective bargaining for library employees who are represented by AFT, AFSCME, CUE, and UPTE.
The UC System and UCLA’s Campus Human Resources have been providing additional information on the specifics of the program to Library Administration and Library Human Resources (LHR). LHR is developing an internal implementation plan to facilitate management of the program and to communicate policies and procedures to employees and to answer questions and address concerns of employees. Some aspects of the program will be managed at the system and campus levels. Other aspects of the program such as tracking of usage of furlough days by employees will be done locally by LHR.
In order to manage this program, LHR will be making changes to some internal procedures and will communicate additional details over the next few weeks. In addition, information sessions for Management Council and for library employees will be offered beginning in August.
In terms of internal procedural changes, here are some specifics:
- LHR has developed and will introduce two new standardized monthly timesheets for library staff - one for exempt employees and one for non-exempt employees. All library employees in all units reporting to the University Librarian will be expected to use these new timesheets beginning this month (August 2009). These new standardized timesheets will be available on the LHR Staff Intranet site. The new timesheets will include a place to record furlough days taken - this will allow LHR to track and report usage by each employee on a monthly basis and ensure the furlough days are taken during the course of the program. LHR staff will provide updates on usage of furlough days to employees and managers during the year that the program is in place. (I want to note that the Law Library, an affiliated unit, will also be using the new timesheets since LHR processes timesheets and leave accruals for Law Library staff; however, it is important to note that Law Library staff will be required to follow directives regarding the furlough program as issued by the Dean of the School of Law.)
- LHR staff and departmental administrative staff will no longer provide vacation or sick leave balances on timesheets. Vacation and sick leave balances are provided to each employee on the paycheck stub. More information and training on understanding and tracking leave balances will be provided to employees.
- Administrative staff who collect timesheets and provide LHR with Summary Leave Usage Reports each month will now be expected to submit all timesheets along with the summary leave usage reports to LHR on a monthly basis beginning with the August timesheets.
As we prepare to implement this program, we are aware that many staff members have questions and concerns and that there are multiple issues that will emerge during the next year. This is an evolving program and we will address questions, issues, and concerns as they are brought to our attention.
LHR will offer a series of one-hour informational sessions on the furlough program beginning in late August.
The first information session will be offered to the Management Council at the August Management Council Meeting on Wednesday, August 26, from 10 a.m. to Noon in the Library Conference Center- Presentation Room.
The same presentation will then be offered to all staff in a series of information sessions that will be offered during August and September. The dates, times and locations for these sessions are:·
- Friday, August 28 1:30 - 2:30 pm Biomedical Library Classroom·
- Tuesday, September 1 1:30 - 2:30 p.m. West Electronic Classroom·
- Thursday, September 10 9:30 - 10:30 a.m. Biomedical Library Classroom·
- Monday, September 14 9:30 - 10:30 a.m. Kinross South 194
If you would like to attend one of these sessions, please RSVP to Pat Hawthorne (email@example.com) and indicate which session you plan to attend. Additional sessions will be scheduled as needed.
Pat Hawthorne, Director of Library Human Resources, and the Deputy University Librarian (Susan Parker) or Supervisory Associate University Librarians (Judy Consales, Sharon Farb, Kevin Mulroy, and Sarah Watstein) are also available to do this presentation at departmental meetings and to answer questions related to the furlough program. If you would like to have this presentation made at a departmental staff meeting, please contact Pat to make arrangements.
Employees who have questions about the furlough program should contact Pat Hawthorne via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or via phone (310-825-4562).