In 2013, the Department of Pediatrics of the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA transferred to Library Special Collections (LSC) a scrapbook containing materials related to the silent film actress Marion Davies’ original children’s medical clinic in the 1920s as well as the gift that made the Marion Davies Children’s Center at UCLA possible. Several items from this scrapbook are on display at History & Special Collections for the Sciences, the LSC unit located on the 4th floor of the Biomedical Library.
The Marion Davies Foundation Children’s Clinic was founded in the Sawtelle area of Los Angeles (now a West Los Angeles neighborhood) in 1926. It was intended to provide services to underprivileged children in the area.
Each year, the Annenberg Community Beach House (at 415 Pacific Coast Highway), which William Randolph Hearst built for Davies the same year she opened her clinic, hosts tours and programs in honor of Marion Davies’ (1897-1961) birthday. This year, the event will be at the Beach House in Santa Monica on Sunday, January 11. For further information about the event and to RSVP, please visit: http://www.eventbrite.com/e/happy-birthday-marion-2015-registration-14737655725
The two-case exhibit is the first in a series of Winter quarter projects by LSC graduate student intern Hilary McCreery Holly. It will be on view throughout January.
History & Special Collections for the Sciences
UCLA Library Special Collections