The Daily Bruin featured an article about the Design | Media Arts Department’s game lab.
Archive for January, 2011
The UCLA Library Announces the Sixty-third Annual Robert B. and Blanche Campbell Book Collection Competition, with over $5000 in prizes available. See http://www2.library.ucla.edu/campbell/index.cfm for more information and a link to the application form.
Application deadline: February 25, 2011
The Chicago Athenaum Museum of Architecture and Design and the European Centre for Architecture Art Design and Urban Studies recently announced the 2010 Good Design Award recipients.
Over 500 awards were given to designers and manufacturers in fields such as building products / materials, graphics / identity / packaging, electronics, environments, floor and wall coverings, furniture, lighting, office products, robotics / bionics, textiles, transportation, and more.
We now have trial access to MADCAD.com, until 02/07/2011.
To access MADCAD, simply go to:
from workstations on the campus network (or through the VPN or proxy server).
Here is a description of MADCAD:
“MADCAD.com is the only web-based subscription service that provides online access to a searchable database of building codes and standards from all major content providers in HTML format.
MADCAD.com users can:
- access codes and standards online 24/7 – no downloads or installations are required!
- create custom subscriptions
- share concurrency based access with their co-workers
- perform full-text keyword searches within a single book, selected books, or the entire eLibrary
- navigate efficiently with cross-referenced hyperlinks
- copy and paste excerpts into reports
- find state amendments and building products
MADCAD.com provides online access to more than 20,000 codes and standards from the following publishers:
- ASCE [American Society of Civil Engineers]
- ASHRAE [American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers]
- ASME [American Society of Mechanical Engineers]
- ASTM [ASTM International]
- BHMA [Builders Hardware Manufacturers Association]
- IAPMO [International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials]
- ICC [International Code Council]
- IEEE [Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers]
- NFPA [National Fire Protection Association]
- CA state codes”
Please let me know what you think of this resource!
The Daily Bruin featured an article about a workshop at a film school in Cuba led by Professor Deborah Landis, founding director of UCLA’s Copley Center for the Study of Costume Design.
Costume design Professor Deborah Landis fashions workshop from history and student experiences while teaching in Cuba.